Software Engineering Group
Department of Computer and Information Science
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
E-mail: thomas.osterlie at idi.ntnu.no
Office phone: +47 735 94169
Office: 142, IT-bygg vest
My research focuses upon the dynamic relationship between development
and use of ICTs in organizations, with particular emphasis on the
interplay between the technical and the non-technical. I am currently
pursuing this topic by studying how organizations use ICTs for
handling risks in practice. Specifically, I do so in two different
- ICT use for safe and reliable operations in oil and gas
- The societal implications of using ICTs for risk management in
I have previously explored the relationship between development and
use of ICTs by studying maintenance of an integrated system in an open source
community of volunteers.
Selected scientific publications
(Full publication list)
- Østerlie, Thomas, Håvard Tronhus and Ole Georg Petersen
(2010). "Security Cynicism: Travellers' Experience of Security in
Encountering Airport Security", in Proceedings of the IADIS
International Conference on ICT, Society and Human Beings 2010,
June 29-31 July, Freiburg, Germany, pp. 66-74.
- Østerlie, Thomas, Ole Martin Asak, Ole Georg Petersen and
Håvard Tronhus (2010). "Manufacturing Accomplices: ICT Use in
Securing the Safety State at Airports", in IFIP Advances in
Information and Communication Technology, Vol. 318, pp. 327-342.
- Østerlie, Thomas and Vidar Hepsø (2009). "Immediacy Lost:
Managing Risks in Oil and Gas Production", forthcoming in
International Reports on Socio-Informatics.
- Østerlie, Thomas and Letizia Jaccheri (2007). "A Critical
Review of Software Engineering Research on Open Source Software
Development", in Proceedings of the Second AIS SIGSAND Symposium on
Systems Analysis and Design, June 5, Gdansk, Poland.
- Østerlie, Thomas and Alf Inge Wang (2007). "Debugging
Integrated Systems: An Ethnographic Study of Debugging Practice", in
Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Software
Maintenance, 2-5 October, 2007, Paris, France.
- Østerlie, Thomas and Alf Inge Wang (2006). "Establishing maintainability in
systems integration: Ambiguity, negotiation, and infrastructure",
in Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on
Software Maintenance, 24-27 September 2006, Philadelphia,
- Østerlie, Thomas (2006). "Producing and interpreting debug
texts", in Proceedings of the 2006 Open Source Software
Conference, 8-10 June 2006, Como, Italy.
- Jaccheri, Letizia and Thomas Østerlie (2005). "Can we teach
empirical software engineering?", in Proceedings of 11th IEEE
International Metrics Symposium, 19-22 September 2005, Como,
- Østerlie, Thomas and Glenn Munkvold (2005). "Ordering actors, organising
work", in Proceedings of the 28th Information Systems Research
Seminar in Scandinavia, August 6-9 2005, Kristiansand, Norway.
- Berntsen, Kirsti, Glenn Munkvold and Thomas Østerlie
(2004). "Community of Practice versus
Practice of the Community: Knowing in collaborative work", in
ICFAI Journal of
Knowledge Management, Vol. II, No. 4, pp. 7-20.
- Østerlie, Thomas (2004). "In the network: Distributed control
in Gentoo Linux", in Proceedings
of the 4th Workshop on Open Source Software Engineering,
Co-located with the 26th International Conference of Software
Engineering (ICSE 2004), May 25 2004, Edinburgh, UK.
- Østerlie, Thomas and Knut Rolland (2003). "Unveiling
distributed organizing in open source development: The practices of
using, aligning, and wedging", in Proceedings of the Workshop on
Open Source Software Movements and Communities, Co-located
with the International Conference on Communities and Technologies,
19-22 September 2003, Amsterdam.
- Østerlie, Thomas (2003). "Open source software development:
Simply scratching an itch?", in Proceedings of the 26th Information
Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia, August 9-12 2003,
- Østerlie, Thomas (2003). The
User-Developer Convergence: Innovation and Software Systems
Development in the Apache project. Master thesis, The
Department of Computer and Information Science, Faculty of
Informatics, Mathematics, and Electronics, Norwegian University of
Science and Technology (NTNU).
Last modified: Wed Nov 15 09:28:45 MET 2006
- Tore Oksholen. "Frå
vondt til verre", Gemini, Issue 5, October
2005 (interview article on integrated information systems and the Norwegian military).
- Østerlie, Thomas (2002). "Ruby:
Just Another Scripting Language?", in Linux Journal, No. 95,
- Østerlie, Thomas and Dahl, Ståle (2002). "The Rookery:
Testing Safety-Critical Software with AdaTEST", in Linux Journal
On-line (later reprinted in Embedded
Linux Journal On-line).
- Østerlie, Thomas (2001). "Book
Review: Hacking Linux Exposed", in Linux Journal, No. 89,